The Greater Omaha Iris Society
Founded in 1950, GOIS is a group of iris enthusiasts in the greater
Omaha, Nebraska area who get together to learn and discuss all
aspects of growing irises. We welcome guests and new members.
Anyone can attend as a guest without being a member.
Contact: Linda Wilkie at 402-493-3808
or Phyllis Randall 712-520-7754
Linda Wilkie, President
Nitza Fairlie, Vice President
Lou Sobczyk, Treasurer
Donna Sobczyk, Secretary
Gary White, Co-Curator of Collections
Sass Memorial Iris Garden
Built and maintained by members of Greater Omaha Iris Society in the
1970's to showcase historic iris in a beautiful garden setting. This garden is
devoted to the pioneering iris hybridizing work done by Hans, Jacob,
and Henry Sass. The garden includes modern reblooming
irises, as well as varieties which have won the American Iris
Society Dykes Medal or the Hans and Jacob Sass Medal.
Please see separate 'Sass Iris Garden page' on this web site
for additional information.
Note! NEW Location for most meetings --
at South Omaha Public Library,
2808 Q Street, Omaha, Nebraska
Community College campus
- April 7, 2018 2:00 P. M. GOIS Board meeting at Linda Wilkie's (15115 Grant Circle). Officers and Committee Chairs required, all members are welcome
- April 14, 2018 Noon. PotLuck and Program @ South Omaha Public Library. AIS President, Gary White, will present a program on Louisiana Iris. Yes, we CAN grow Louisianas in our area! Gary will fill us in on all the details and present beautiful pictoral examples.
- Saturday May 12, 2018 was our scheduled date for our 2018 Iris Show. It has been cancelled for this year. We encourage our members to participate in the Lincoln Iris Show held on May 19, 2:00 to 5:00 PM
- May 19th, 2018 Lincoln Iris Show in Lincoln, Nebraska. 2:00 to 5:00 PM. Located at St. Andrews Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall (South Entrance) 1015 Lancaster Lane, Lincoln, Nebraska. Find the Show 4 blocks East of 70th & Vine, then 1 block North on East Avon Lane. For more information, contact David Lionberger at 402-466-2838.
- May 20th, 2018 GOIS Open House and Lecture at the Sass Memorial Gardens at Mahoney State Park. (between Omaha and Lincoln at exit 146 from I-80.) Join us at 11:00 AM to tour the Iris and Peony Gardens which should be in beautiful, full bloom. Marjorie Jansen will do a judges training session on median irises which is open to anyone wanting to know more about these iris. ( I highly recommend attending this training session, approximately 1 hour, beginning after 11:00 AM.) At 2:00 PM there will be a presentation by Gary White, co-curator of the Sass Garden, about the Sass family and why they are so important to modern iris breeding. Bring your iris-loving friends and your camera!
- June 9, 2018 / Spuria Garden Tour Road Trip! at Comanche Acres in Gower, Missouri. We will be doing a caravan with several vehicles. Sign up to be a driver or passenger. This will be an all day event, stopping to eat somewhere along the way. For information about their iris, look at their web site at www.comancheacreiris.com
- June 16, 2018 Garden Work Day at Mahoney Park Iris Display Garden Meet at the Sass Garden at 9:30 AM
- July 14, 2018 / Tour of the Chihuly Sculpture Garden at the Fred and Pam Buffett Cancer Center on the University of Nebraska Medical Center campus. This beautiful art glass installation is a world-class exhibit that we are very fortunate to have in our city.
- July 21, 2018 Lincoln Iris Society Rhizome Sale held at St. Andrews Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall (South entrance) 1015 Lancaster Lane, Lincoln, Nebraska. 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM Newer variety auction at 11:00 AM
- July 23, 2018 / Ice Cream Social with Cookies / Prepare Rhizomes for sale at Linda Wilkie's house at 6:00 PM. Bring sharp scissors, paper bags, black markers that will work on iris, and newspapers to work on preparing rhizomes. Great opportunity to get your hands dirty again! These iris are the ones we will sell on Friday, July 27. Members are asked to bring cookies to share - any kind, any size, any flavor! (If you don't have time to bake, I'm sure you can find a source for good cookies at the nearest commercial bakery).
- July 27, 2018 GOIS Annual Rhizome Sale at St. Andrews Episcopal Church. Set up for sale at 11:00 AM Sale begins Friday, 2:00 PM - 7:00 PM This is your opportunity to add irises to your gardens - and at a very reasonable rate. Don't forget to use your coupon for free iris . Coupon may be redeemed only at this July rhizome sale for any one iris. (Coupon may be found on "Buy Iris" page of this web site. All proceeds will benefit GOIS projects / expenses.)
- *August 25, 2018 GOIS Board Meeting at 2:00 PM. Location: Wilkie's house (15115 Grant Circle). Officers and Committee chairs required; all members are welcome.
- September 8, 2018 / Pot Luck, meeting, and Program on Growing Siberian and Arilbred Iris
- September 15, 2018 Garden work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 9:30 A.M.
Bring scissors, rakes, buckets and other garden tools for clean-up. Help clean up the gardens and view reblooming iris . Lunch afterward at the restaurant at the park lodge is a possibility.
- September 9th, 2018 GOIS Board Meeting at 2:00 PM. Location: Wilkie's house (15115 Grant Circle). Officers and Committee chairs required; all members are welcome
- October 13, 2018 GOIS meeting and Tour of the Chrysanthemum Show at Lauritzen Gardens
- October 20, 2018 Garden work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 9:30 A.M. Bring scissors, rakes, buckets and other garden tools for clean-up. Help clean up the gardens and view reblooming iris . Lunch afterward at the restaurant at the park lodge is, again, a possibility.
- October 28, 2018 GOIS Board Meeting at 2:00 PM. Location: Wilkie's house (15115 Grant Circle). Officers and Committee chairs required; all members are welcome
- November 10, 2018 Last General Meeting of the Year / "Early Thanksgiving Pot Luck Dinner" 12:00 PM. Always a favorite activity. Bring your family and invite friends who may want to know more about iris for our annual festive dinner. The club will provide the Turkey and Gravy; please bring a salad, mashed potatoes, stuffing, a vegetable, dinner rolls and butter, a casserole or dessert to share. Thanksgiving pies and Chocolate would be fine desserts. Best deal in town.................great friends, great food, great camaraderie
- *November 17, 2018 Final work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 9:00 AM. Bring scissors, rakes, and other garden tools and buckets for clean-up. Help put the gardens to bed for the winter. Maybe Lunch afterward at the restaurant at the park lodge. This activity is always weather-dependent.