The Greater Omaha Iris Society
Founded in 1950, GOIS is a group of iris enthusiasts in the greater
Omaha, Nebraska area who get together to learn and discuss all
aspects of growing irises. We welcome guests and new members.
Anyone can attend as a guest without being a member.
Contact: Linda Wilke at 402-493-3808
or Phyllis Randall 712-520-7754
Linda Wilkie, President
Phyllis Randall, Vice President
John Randall, Treasurer
Mary Schreiber, Secretary
Gary White, Co-Curator of Collections
Sass Memorial Iris Garden
Built and maintained by members of Greater Omaha Iris Society in the
1970's to show historic iris in a beautiful garden setting. This garden is
devoted to the pioneering iris hybridizing work done by Hans, Jacob,
and Henry Sass. The garden also includes modern reblooming
irises, as well as varieties which have won the American Iris
Society Dykes Medal or the Sass Medal.
Please see separate 'Sass Iris Garden page' on this web site
for additional information.
2015 remaining Club meeting dates
Note! Location for all meetings -- at St. Andrews Episcopal Church,
925 S. 84th Street Omaha, Nebraska
- October 12, 2015 / Speaker: Gary White will share his knowledge of Clematis. Gary will present an interesting and informative program that will let you in on the secrets of growing clematis in the midwest. I'll bet you never knew there are so many different kinds of clematis!
•October 18, 2015 (Tentative) Work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at
8:30 - 9:00 AM. Bring scissors, rakes and bags or buckets for clean-up.
•November 6 and 7, 2015 National American Iris Society Fall Meeting.
Meeting will be held at The Hyatt Place, downtown Old Market in Omaha, Nebraska. email email@example.com for a registration form. Send form and applicable fees to: Phyllis Randall, Registrar
22871 Kane Avenue
Glenwood, Iowa 51534
•November 9, 2014 "Early Thanksgiving Pot Luck Dinner" 6:30 PM. Always a favorite activity. Bring your family and invite friends who may want to know more about iris for our annual festive dinner. The club will provide the Turkeyand Gravy; please bring a salad, mashed potatoes, stuffing, a vegetable, a casserole or dessert to share. Best deal in town.................great friends, great food, great camaraderie.
•November 14, 2015 Final work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 9:00 AM. Bring scissors, rakes, and other garden tools and buckets for clean-up. Help put the gardens to bed for the winter. Lunch afterward at the restaurant at the park lodge.
Meetings previously held in 2015
- March 9, 2015 / 6:30 PM American Iris Society Slide Program: 2013 Iris Introductions Program presented by Linda Wilkie and John Randall. A program that will generate lots of "Ooohs and Aaahs; it will whet your appetite to add new iris to your gardens. You will also learn where to buy these beauties and other sources for iris. (There are many!)
- March 14, 2015 / (Tentative) Weather Dependent Work day at the Sass Memorial Gardenat 9:00 AM Bring rakes, sharp scissors, other garden tools and buckets for clean-up Many hands make light work!
- April 13, 2015 / 6:30 PM Plan to enjoy all things Iris! This is a three-part meeting. 1) Members are asked to bring their favorite iris objects and tell the audience why they are special and/or have special remembrances. All items welcome for this Show and Tell. You may also bring any iris items you would like to sell or barter for! 2) In addition, we will have a slide show on iris to play in the background. 3) And bring your Iris Wish List to order iris with other members to put together a larger list. (We get additional 'extra' iris this way!) Please be prepared to pay for your order at this meeting.
- May 11, 2015 / Garden Tour and PLANT SWAP! Meet at St. Andrews at 6:00 P.M. to carpool. Don't be late...we're leaving at 6:05 PM! Or drive there directly on your own! We'll be touring Gary White's beautiful garden in Lincoln at 701 Old Cheney Road. (Because of road construction on Hwy 77 , the easiest way to get there is to take I-80 to Lincoln, exit at the Waverly exit, turn left onto 84th Street. Follow 84th Street completely across Lincoln to Old Cheney Road. Turn right and follow Old Cheney Road to Gary's house #701.) Driving time is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
Be sure to bring divisions of your favorite plants to share and swap with our members. Doesn't have to be iris..............these can be any garden plant. Bring as many as you like; bring two plants, go home with two plants. No money exchanged - just plants.
- May 15 - 17, 2015 / Spring Into Spring Festival at Lauritzen Gardens. Lots of treasures are available at a reasonable price. This is a great plant sale that benefits GOIS. Take advantage of this unique opportunity to talk about your wonderful iris and maybe even find new ones! Many iris will be on exhibit and may be pre-ordered for delivery at the GOIS annual iris sale in July.
- Saturday May 16, 2015 is our Annual Iris Exhibition, being held again at Lauritzen Gardens. Exhibition entries of any class single stalks will be accepted after 2:30 PM Friday and Saturday, and on Sunday morning by 10:30 AM. Iris entries must have the name of the cultivar and whether you are willing to donate any rhizomes for presale. Iris may be entered by anyone, not just GOIS members. Arrangements will be accepted throughout the weekend; the design theme will be very simple; "Iris Big and Small". Arrangements can be large, small, or anything in between and may use iris of any variety or size. Materials in the arrangement do not have to be grown by the exhibitor; containers are the exhibitor's choice. This is a chance to show off your creativity and all your beautiful iris to thousands of visitors to Lauritzen Gardens. This Exibition is a change in our usual practice of a juried show. No judging will take place and no trophies will be awarded.
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday May 15-17, 2015 at Lauritzen Gardens Spring Into Spring Festival We will be selling iris rhizomes during the annual iris exhibition for late summer pick-up. There will be blooming iris to show you what your rhizome will look like when it blooms. It works like this: a limited number of rhizomes will be available. A buyer chooses what he/she wants, pays for the iris, gets a receipt, and can pick up their selections at our Annual Sale on July 24. This is a great way to expand your garden at a low cost. Rhizomes will sell for only $4.00 each or 3/for $10. There will also be garden themed jewelry and art by local artists Brenda Morsey and Linda Wilkie available. Stop by the GOIS Display area in the Great Floral Hall. Members will be on hand to answer your questions about growing or acquiring iris.
- Saturday, May 16, 2015 Floral Design Demonstrations at Lauritzen Spring Into Spring Festival. Kevin Smith, Award Winning floral designer and Horticulture Design Instructor at Omaha Metropolitan Community College, will demonstrate how to create an award-winning floral design. Two not to be missed sessions will be offered at 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM Saturday in the GOIS Display area of the great floral hall (Saturday only).
- May ??, 2015 TBD Iris garden tours at gardens to be selected. You can join other friends to ride together.
- May 16 , 2015 / Lincoln Iris Society Show. Entries will be received between 7:30 and 10:00 AM the day of the show. Horticultural rules are similar to those used by GOIS, although each exhibitor is limited to 35 total entries in the Division 1 Horticulture. There are classes for Seedlings, Artistic Arrangements, Youth and Educational Exhibits. The show will be held from 1:00 to 4:00 PM at St. Andrews Lutheran Church, in the Church Fellowship Hall, 1015 Lancaster Lane, Lincoln, Nebraska.
- June 8, 2015 / Pot Luck & Picnic the home of Janet and Richard Ott. Rain or shine! Bring a friend, a dish to share, and enjoy the gardens. Beverages and utensils will be provided by the club. Of course, we'll talk about all the great (and maybe not-so-great) iris blooms this Spring. This is a great opportunity to commune with our interesting members and guests.
- WEATHER ALERT!!! Rain is forecast for Saturday, June 13. If it is actively raining at 7:00 AM, our work day will be rescheduled for next Saturday, June 20. at the same time, 8:30 AM. Garden Work day at the Sass Memorial Gardens at Mahoney State Park. Gather at the gardens at 8:30 AM to remove bloom stalks and deadhead peonies.
- July 18, 2015 / Work day Digging Project at the Sass Memorial Garden, 8:30 AM. Get there early before the heat. We'll have cold water ready for you. This is the day we dig iris for sale to the public. Rain date is July 19 - just in case!
- July 20, 2015 / Meeting: Prepare Rhizomes for sale at Linda Wilkie's house at 6:30 PM. Bring sharp scissors, paper bags, black markers that will work on iris, and newspapers to work on rhizomes. Great opportunity to get your hands dirty again! These iris are the ones we will sell on Friday, July 24.
- July 24, 2015 (Friday, 3:00 PM - 8:00 PM) / GOIS Annual Rhizome Sale at St. Andrews Episcopal Church. This is your opportunity to add irises to your gardens - and at a very reasonable rate. Don't forget to use your coupon for free iris . Coupon may be redeemed only at this July rhizome sale for any one iris. (Coupon may be found on "Buy Iris" page of this web site. All proceeds will benefit GOIS projects / expenses.
- September 14, 2015 / Speaker and pictures of the 2015 Iris Convention in Portland, Oregon (Iris paradise!) This area is where many of the well-known iris breeders do their work. Hundreds of acres of iris in production will amaze you.