The Greater Omaha Iris Society
Founded in 1950, GOIS is a group of iris enthusiasts in the greater
Omaha, Nebraska area who get together to learn and discuss all
aspects of growing irises. We welcome guests and new members.
Anyone can attend as a guest without being a member.
Contact: Linda Wilkie at 402-493-3808
or Phyllis Randall 712-520-7754
Linda Wilkie, President
Nitza Fairlie, Vice President
Lou Sobczyk, Treasurer
Donna Sobczyk, Secretary
Gary White, Co-Curator of Collections
Sass Memorial Iris Garden
Built and maintained by members of Greater Omaha Iris Society in the
1970's to showcase historic iris in a beautiful garden setting. This garden is
devoted to the pioneering iris hybridizing work done by Hans, Jacob,
and Henry Sass. The garden includes modern reblooming
irises, as well as varieties which have won the American Iris
Society Dykes Medal or the Hans and Jacob Sass Medal.
Please see separate 'Sass Iris Garden page' on this web site
for additional information.
Under construction, updating for 2017
Note! Location for most meetings --
at St. Andrews Episcopal Church,
925 S. 84th Street Omaha, Nebraska
- MARCH 13, 2017 7:00 PM KETV Burlington Station on 10th Street in the Old Market
- Sean Everson, one of the stations' meteorologists and a former Youth Member in GOIS, will present a program "Climate and Weather as it affects our gardens". A brief meeting will be held after the program.
- April 8th, 9:30 A.M. Garden Work Day at Mahoney Park Iris Display Garden. Meet at the Sass Gardens at 9:30 A. M. Bring a friend to help make the work easier and quicker. Be sure to wear your "Volunteer Iris Worker" badge to get into the park at no charge.
- April 10, 2017 7:00 PM Tour Canoyer's Nursery. Meet at Conoyer's Nursery located at 11240 S. 66th Street, Papillion at 7:00 P.M. This is a great chance to see Spring plants and the inner workings of a garden center and plant nursery.
- April 29, 2017 2:00 P. M. GOIS Board meeting at Linda Wilkie's (15115 Grant Circle). Officers and Committee Chairs required, all members are welcome
- May 08, 2017 6:30 PM. Magdalene Pfister Garden. This garden, located on the UNL East campus, is maintained by the Lincoln Iris Society. Meet near the Dairy Store on East Campus at 6:30 P.M. (Come a little early and treat yourself to great ice cream and cheese? Find a map at http://www.unl.edu/bga/graphics/EAST_CAMPUS_gardens.png. Garden is located at approximately 38th & Holdredge Streets in Lincoln. Contact an officer if you would like to carpool with a member.
- May 13th. Spring Into Spring at Lauritzen Gardens in Omaha A Spring Affair with a different flair
- May 13th. Lincoln Iris Show in Lincoln, Nebraska. 1:00 to 4:00 PM. Located at St. Andrews Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall (South Entrance) 1015 Lancaster Lane, Lincoln, Nebraska. Find the Show 4 blocks East of 70th & Vine, then 1 block North on East Avon Lane. For more information, contact David Lionberger at 402-466-2838 or LincolnIrisSociety@yahoo.com
- Saturday May 20, 2017 is our Iris Show. Single entry iris and arrangements will be accepted from 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM. Judging at 10:45 AM. Open to the public at Noon. GOIS Board Meeting will be held later the same day.
We will be pre-selling iris rhizomes during the Iris Show for late summer pick-up. There will be blooming iris to show you what your rhizome will look like when it blooms. It works like this: a limited number of rhizomes will be available. A buyer chooses what he/she wants, pays for the iris, gets a receipt, and needs to pick up their selections at our Annual Sale on Friday, July 28. This is a great way to expand your garden at a low cost. Rhizomes will sell for only $4.00 each or 3/for $10. There will also be garden themed jewelry and art by local artists Brenda Morsey and Linda Wilkie available. Members will be on hand to answer your questions about growing or acquiring iris.
- May 23 - 27th, 2017 American Iris Society Convention and Garden Tours in Des Moines, Iowa. See their web site at https://ais2017.wordpress.com for more information.
- *June 12, 2017 / Pot Luck & Picnic at Donna and Lou Sobczyk's + Plant Swap! Rain or shine! Bring a friend, a dish to share, and enjoy their beautiful gardens. Beverages, plates and utensils will be provided by the club. Of course, we'll talk about all the great (and maybe not-so-great) iris blooms this Spring. This is a great opportunity to commune with our interesting members and guests.
- Plant Swap!! Be sure to bring divisions of your favorite plants to share and swap with our members. Doesn't have to be iris..............these can be any garden plant. Bring as many as you like; bring two plants, go home with two plants. No money exchanged - just plants.
- June 17th Garden Work Day at Mahoney Park Iris Display Garden Meet at the Sass Garden at 9:30 AM
- July 22, 2017 / Dividing Iris Project at the Sass Memorial Garden, 8:00 AM. Get there early before the heat. We'll have cold water ready for you. This is the day we dig iris for sale to the public. Rain date is July 23 - just in case!
- *July 24, 2017 / Ice Cream Social / Prepare Rhizomes for sale at Linda Wilkie's house at 6:30 PM. Bring sharp scissors, paper bags, black markers that will work on iris, and newspapers to work on preparing rhizomes. Great opportunity to get your hands dirty again! These iris are the ones we will sell on Friday, August 18.
- *July 28, 2017 GOIS Annual Rhizome Sale at St. Andrews Episcopal Church. Set up for sale at 11:00 AM Sale begins Friday, 2:00 PM - 7:00 PM)/ This is your opportunity to add irises to your gardens - and at a very reasonable rate. Don't forget to use your coupon for free iris . Coupon may be redeemed only at this August rhizome sale for any one iris. (Coupon may be found on "Buy Iris" page of this web site. All proceeds will benefit GOIS projects / expenses.)
- *September 11, 2017 / American Iris Society Digital Program: Iris Rebloomers Two programs: REblooming Iris Zones 1 - 3 and Reblooming Iris Zones 4 - 8.
- *August 15, 2016 / Meeting: Prepare Rhizomes for sale at Linda Wilkie's house at 6:30 PM. Bring sharp scissors, paper bags, black markers that will work on iris, and newspapers to work on preparing rhizomes. Great opportunity to get your hands dirty again! These iris are the ones we will sell on Friday, August 19.
- *August 19, 2016 (Friday, 2:00 PM - 8:00 PM) / GOIS Annual Rhizome Sale at St. Andrews Episcopal Church. This is your opportunity to add irises to your gardens - and at a very reasonable rate. Don't forget to use your coupon for free iris . Coupon may be redeemed only at this August rhizome sale for any one iris. (Coupon may be found on "Buy Iris" page of this web site. All proceeds will benefit GOIS projects / expenses.)
- *September 11, 2017 / Program on Reblooming Iris. This program is actually two programs produced by the American Iris Society. Reblooming Iris Zones 1-3 and Reblooming Iris Zones 4 - 8. What a great way to add iris to your gardens that will bloom again in the Fall, after the 'usual' iris bloom season.
- *October 9, 2017 / Linda Wilkie and Lou Sobczyk will present a program about the 2017 AIS Covention held in Des Moines. Many pictures of beautiful iris
*October 15, 2016 Garden clean-up at the Sass Memorial Garden at 9:00 A.M.
Bring scissors, rakes, buckets and other garden tools for clean-up. Help clean up the gardens and view reblooming iris . Lunch afterward at the restaurant at the park lodge.
- *November 14, 2016 / "Early Thanksgiving Pot Luck Dinner" 6:30 PM. Always a favorite activity. Bring your family and invite friends who may want to know more about iris for our annual festive dinner. The club will provide the Turkey and Gravy; please bring a salad, mashed potatoes, stuffing, a vegetable, dinner rolls and butter, a casserole or dessert to share. Best deal in town.................great friends, great food, great camaraderie
- *November 19, 2016 Final work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 9:00 AM. Bring scissors, rakes, and other garden tools and buckets for clean-up. Help put the gardens to bed for the winter. Lunch afterward at the restaurant at the park lodge.