The Greater Omaha Iris Society
Founded in 1950, GOIS is a group of iris enthusiasts in the greater
Omaha, Nebraska area who get together to learn and discuss all
aspects of growing irises. We welcome guests and new members.
Contact: Linda Wilke at 402-493-3808
or Phyllis Randall 712-520-7754
Linda Wilke, President
Phyllis Randall, Vice President
Janet Ott, Treasurer
Amy Green, Secretary
Sass Memorial Iris Garden
Built and maintained to show historic iris in a beautiful garden setting.
This garden is devoted to the pioneering iris hybridizing work done by
Hans, Jacob, and Henry Sass. The garden also includes modern
reblooming irises, as well as varieties which have won the American Iris
Society Dykes Medal or the Sass Medal.
Please see seperate 'Sass Iris Garden page' on this web site for additional information.
Club meeting dates
(all meetings held at the Douglas/Sarpy County Extension office at 8015 West Center Road in Omaha
unless otherwise noted.)
- March 11, 2013 / 6:30 PM Special meeting! This will be a true POT LUCK meeting, so bring something to share with the other members. Anything works, meat, veggies, salads, desserts, or a 'surprise dish'. Time is at 6:30 PM sharp. Also, we'll review some suggested changes in our constitution. And even more...............everyone will receive a special something to take with you.
Be there, or be Square!
- March 16, 2013 / Work day at the Sass Memorial Gardeat 10:00 AM. Bring garden tools and bags or buckets for clean-up. Coffee and donuts will be provided by the club.
- April 8, 2013 / 6:30 PM Program: Median Iris. Find out about the 'other' iris; the iris world includes the STBs, MDBs, MTBs, IBs, and BB. We'll decipher all the alphabetic terms for you; hint - the letters describe the iris!
- April 13, 2013 / Work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at Mahoney State Park. Gather at the gardens at 9:30 AM. Bring tools and bags or buckets for clean-up.
- May 11, 2013 / Our club Iris Show HAS BEEN CANCEDLLED due to lack of bloom stalks. Since our weather has been so cold, the iris haven't bloomed as we expected. We're sorry; this is totally beyond our control
- May 13, 2013 No meeting on this evening; this is the usual meeting date for our club. We'll do an activity on May 20th instead.
- May 17 - 19, 2013 / Spring Into Spring Festival at Lauritzen Gardens. Lots of treasures are available at a reasonable price. This is a great plant sale that benefits GOIS as well as the Lauritzen Gardens. This is a great opportunity to talk about your wonderful iris and maybe even find new ones! We will sell potted iris during this event. Many iris will be on exhibit that may be pre-ordered for delivery at the GOIS annual iris sale in July.
- May 17 - 18, 2013. Region 21 Spring Iris Tour hosted by Sioux Land Iris Society.
- May 20, 2013 Pot Luck and iris garden tour at the Immanuel Village Retirement Towers; 6803 North 68th Plaza. We'll have our Pot Luck dinner at 6:00 PM and then tour Vic Sellers Iris Garden (all Tall Bearded Iris). Vic established this wonderful garden several years before his death. Ron Crampton maintains it in Vic's memory. Any member wanting to car pool can meet at the Douglas/Sarpy Extension Office in the parking lot by 5:30. You can join other friends to ride together.
- May 25, 2013 / Lincoln Iris Society Show. This is your chance to show iris this year since our GOIS Iris Show had to be cancelled. Entries will be received between 7:30 and 10:00 AM the day of the show. Horticultural rules are similar to those used by GOIS, although each exhibitor is limited to 35 total entries in the Division 1 Horticulture. There are classes for Seedlings, Artistic Arrangements, Youth and Educational Exhibits. The show will be held at the Southeast Community College, 8800 "O" Street (in the cafeteria), Lincoln, Nebraska 68520.
- May 25, 2013 / GOIS in the Garden Members to host an Open Garden event for the public. Meet at the Mahoney Display garden at 9:30 AM—12:00 PM to greet visitors and share your love of all things iris. We’ll adjourn to the lodge for lunch and then carpool to visit our friends in Lincoln to take in their Iris Show. Contact Linda Wilkie if you’d like to carpool.
- June 10, 2013 / Pot Luck & Picnic at the Wilke residence. Bring a friend, a dish to share, and relax in the Wilkie garden. Beverages and utensils will be provided by the club. Of course, we'll talk about all the great (and maybe not-so-great) iris blooms this Spring.
- June 15, 2013 / Work day at the Sass Memorial Gardens at Mahoney State Park. Gather at the gardens at 8:30 AM to remove bloom stalks and deadhead peonies.
- July 20, 2013 / Work day Digging Project at the Sass Memorial Garden, 8:00 AM. Get there early before the heat. We'll have cold drinks ready for you. This is the day we dig iris for sale to the public. Rain date is July 21 - just in case!
- July 22, 2012 / Meeting: Prepare Rhizomes for sale 6:30 PM. Bring sharp scissors, paper bags, black markers that will work on iris, and newspapers to work on rhizomes. Great opportunity to get your hands dirty again!
- July 26 (Friday, 3:00 PM - 8:00 PM) and July 27 (Saturday, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM), 2013 / Annual Rhizome Sale and Iris Auction at the Douglas/Sarpy County Extension Office. The Iris Auction will begin at Noon on Saturday; we'll auction off beautiful new and newer iris from several commercial hybridizers. Many rhizomes will be newer iris introduced in 2013, or 2012. Don't forget to use your coupon for free iris . Coupon may be redeemed only at this July rhizome sale for any iris in the 'club' sale, but not for the Auction. (Coupon may be found on Vendor page of this web site)
- August 10 - 11, 2013 / Fall Region 21 Tour and Meeting Details to follow closer to the meeting date.
- August 17, 2013 / Work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 8:00 AM. Bring garden tools and bags or buckets for clean-up. Cold drinks will be provided.
- September 9, 2013/ Program being developed.
- September 14, 2013 / Work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 8:00 AM. Bring garden tools and bags or buckets for clean-up. Drinks will be provided.
- October 14, 2013 / Program being developed.
- October 19, 2013 / Work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 10:00 AM. Bring garden tools and bags or buckets for clean-up. Again, GOIS will provide drinks.
- November 11, 2013 "Early Thanksgiving Pot Luck Dinner" 6:30 PM Always a favorite activity. Bring your family and invite friends who may want to know more about iris for our annual festive dinner. The club will provide the Turkey and Gravy; please bring a salad, vegetable, casserole or dessert to share. Best deal in town.................great friends, great food, great camaraderie.
- November 16, 2013 Final Work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 9:00 AM. Bring garden tools and bags or buckets for clean-up. Help put the gardens to bed for the winter. Hot coffee will be provided.