The Greater Omaha Iris Society
Founded in 1950, GOIS is a group of iris enthusiasts in the greater
Omaha, Nebraska area who get together to learn and discuss all
aspects of growing irises. We welcome guests and new members.
Anyone can attend as a guest without being a member.
Contact: Linda Wilke at 402-493-3808
or Phyllis Randall 712-520-7754
Linda Wilkie, President
Phyllis Randall, Vice President
John Randall, Treasurer
Mary Schreiber, Secretary
Gary White, Co-Curator of Collections
Sass Memorial Iris Garden
Built and maintained by members of Greater Omaha Iris Society in the
1970's to show historic iris in a beautiful garden setting. This garden is
devoted to the pioneering iris hybridizing work done by Hans, Jacob,
and Henry Sass. The garden also includes modern reblooming
irises, as well as varieties which have won the American Iris
Society Dykes Medal or the Sass Medal.
Please see seperate 'Sass Iris Garden page' on this web site
for additional information.
2015 Club meeting dates
Note! New Location for all meetings! at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 925 S. 84th Street,
- March 9, 2015 / 6:30 PM American Iris Society Slide Program: 2013 Iris Introductions Program presented by Linda Wilkie and John Randall. A program that will generate lots of "Ooohs and Aaahs; it will whet your appetite to add new iris to your gardens. You will also learn where to buy these beauties and other sources for iris. (There are many!)
- March 14, 2015 / (Tentative) Weather Dependent Work day at the Sass Memorial Gardeat 9:00 AM Bring rakes, sharp scissors, other garden tools and buckets for clean-up Many hands make light work!
- April 13, 2015 / 6:30 PM Slide Program: Median Iris. Find out about the 'other' iris; the iris world includes the STBs, MDBs, MTBs, IBs, and BB. We'll decipher all the alphabetic terms for you; hint - the letters describe the iris!
- May 2, 2015 / (Tentative) Work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at Mahoney State Park. Gather at the gardens at 9:00 AM. Bring scissors, rakes and other garden tools and buckets for clean-up.
- May 11, 2015 / Program: Prepare Iris for the Iris Show. This will be a panel of experts giving you helpful hints to show your iris at their best.
- May 15 - 17, 2015 / Spring Into Spring Festival at Lauritzen Gardens. Lots of treasures are available at a reasonable price. This is a great plant sale that benefits GOIS. Take advantage of this unique opportunity to talk about your wonderful iris and maybe even find new ones! Many iris will be on exhibit and may be pre-ordered for delivery at the GOIS annual iris sale in July.
- Saturday, May 16, 2015 is our Annual Iris Show, being held again this year at Lauritzen Gardens. Entries will be accepted from 7:30 AM through 9:45 AM. Iris entries must be ready for placement by Stewards by 9:45 AM. Judging of entries begins at 10:00 AM. Show opens at 12:30 or when the judging is complete. Iris may be entered by anyone, not just GOIS members. After Show is completed, see "Iris Show Winners" on this site for information on who won trophies and ribbons.
- Saturday, May 16, 2015, after the Annual Iris Show about 2:00 PM The judge for the Arrangements section, Kevin Smith, a Professional floral designer, will do a demonstration of how to create an award-winning design. This session is not to be missed! Kevin is the entertaining instructor who did a program for us on Floral Arrangements last fall.
- May ??, 2015 TBD Iris garden tours at gardens to be selected. You can join other friends to ride together.
- May 9, 2015 / Lincoln Iris Society Show. Entries will be received between 7:30 and 10:00 AM the day of the show. Horticultural rules are similar to those used by GOIS, although each exhibitor is limited to 35 total entries in the Division 1 Horticulture. There are classes for Seedlings, Artistic Arrangements, Youth and Educational Exhibits. The show will be held at the Southeast Community College, 8800 "O" Street (in the cafeteria), Lincoln, Nebraska 68520.
- June 8, 2015 / Pot Luck & Picnic at location to be determined. Rain or shine! Bring a friend, a dish to share, and enjoy the gardens. Beverages and utensils will be provided by the club. Of course, we'll talk about all the great (and maybe not-so-great) iris blooms this Spring. This is a great opportunity to commune with our interesting members and guests.
- June 13, 2015/ Work day at the Sass Memorial Gardens at Mahoney State Park. Gather at the gardens at 8:30 AM to remove bloom stalks and deadhead peonies.
- July 18, 2015 / Work day Digging Project at the Sass Memorial Garden, 8:30 AM. Get there early before the heat. We'll have cold water ready for you. This is the day we dig iris for sale to the public. Rain date is July 19 - just in case!
- July 20, 2015 / Meeting: Prepare Rhizomes for sale at Linda Wilkie's house at 6:30 PM. Bring sharp scissors, paper bags, black markers that will work on iris, and newspapers to work on rhizomes. Great opportunity to get your hands dirty again! These iris are the ones we will sell on Friday, July 24.
- July 24, 2015 (Friday, 3:00 PM - 8:00 PM) / GOIS Annual Rhizome Sale at St. Andrews Episcopal Church. This is your opportunity to add irises to your gardens - and at a very reasonable rate. Don't forget to use your coupon for free iris . Coupon may be redeemed only at this July rhizome sale for any one iris. (Coupon may be found on "Buy Iris" page of this web site. All proceeds will benefit GOIS projects / expenses.
- August 15, 2015 / (Tentative) Work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 8:00 AM. Bring garden tools and bags or buckets for clean-up. Cold drinks will be provided.
- September 14, 2015 / Speaker and pictures of the 2015 Iris Convention in Portland, Oregon (Iris paradise!) This area is where many of the well-known iris breeders do their work. Hundreds of acres of iris in production will amaze you.
- October 12, 2015 / Speaker: Gary White will share his knowledge of Clematis.
- October 18, 2015 (Tentative) Work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 8:30 - 9:00 AM. Bring scissors, rakes and bags or buckets for clean-up. Hot coffee will be provided.
- November 6 and 7, 2015 National Iris Society Fall Meeting. Details to be provided at a later date.
- November 9, 2014 "Early Thanksgiving Pot Luck Dinner" 6:30 PM Always a favorite activity. Bring your family and invite friends who may want to know more about iris for our annual festive dinner. The club will provide the Turkey and Gravy; please bring a salad, mashed potatoes, stuffing, a vegetable, a casserole or dessert to share. Best deal in town.................great friends, great food, great camaraderie.
- November 14, 2015 Final work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 9:00 AM. Bring scissors, rakes, and other garden tools and buckets for clean-up. Help put the gardens to bed for the winter. Lunch afterward at the restaurant at the park lodge.