The Greater Omaha Iris Society
Founded in 1950, GOIS is a group of iris enthusiasts in the greater
Omaha, Nebraska area who get together to learn and discuss all
aspects of growing irises. We welcome guests and new members.
Anyone can attend as a guest without being a member.
Contact: Linda Wilke at 402-493-3808
or Phyllis Randall 712-520-7754
Linda Wilkie, President
Phyllis Randall, Vice President
John Randall, Treasurer
Amy Green, Secretary
Gary White, Co-Curator of Collections
Sass Memorial Iris Garden
Built and maintained by members of Greater Omaha Iris Society in the
1970's to show historic iris in a beautiful garden setting. This garden is
devoted to the pioneering iris hybridizing work done by Hans, Jacob,
and Henry Sass. The garden also includes modern reblooming
irises, as well as varieties which have won the American Iris
Society Dykes Medal or the Sass Medal.
Please see seperate 'Sass Iris Garden page' on this web site for additional information.
Club meeting dates
Note! New Location for all meetings! at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 925 S. 84th Street,
- March 10, 2014 / 6:30 PM Getting Back to the Basics. Program by our President Linda Wilke. Want to learn secrets to growing beautiful iris of all types? Linda will present tried and true methods to help.
- March 15, 2014 / (Tentative) Work day at the Sass Memorial Gardeat 9:00 AM. Bring rakes, scissors, clippers and bags or buckets for clean-up. Many hands make light work!
- April 14, 2014 / 6:30 PM Program: Median Iris. Find out about the 'other' iris; the iris world includes the STBs, MDBs, MTBs, IBs, and BB. We'll decipher all the alphabetic terms for you; hint - the letters describe the iris!
- May 3, 2014 / Work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at Mahoney State Park. Gather at the gardens at 9:00 AM. Bring tools and bags or buckets for clean-up.
- May 19, 2014 / RESCHEDULED Monday 6:00 PM Special Pot Luck Day at the Sass Gardens. Bring your camera and come early to photograph the beautiful blooms. Photo experts will be on hand to give tips to producing prize-winning photos.
- May 16 - 18, 2014 / Spring Into Spring Festival at Lauritzen Gardens. Lots of treasures are available at a reasonable price. This is a great plant sale that benefits GOIS. Take advantage of this great opportunity to talk about your wonderful iris and maybe even find new ones! Many iris will be on exhibit and may be pre-ordered for delivery at the GOIS annual iris sale in July.
- Saturday, May 17 is our Annual Iris Show, being held this year at Lauritzen Gardens. Entries will be accepted from 7:30 AM through 9:45 AM. Judging of entries begins at 10:00 AM. Show opens at 12:30. Iris may be entered by anyone, not just GOIS members. See "Iris Show Winners" for information on who won trophies and ribbons.
- May ??, 2014 TBD Iris garden tours at gardens to be selected. You can join other friends to ride together.
- May 10, 2014 / Lincoln Iris Society Show. Entries will be received between 7:30 and 10:00 AM the day of the show. Horticultural rules are similar to those used by GOIS, although each exhibitor is limited to 35 total entries in the Division 1 Horticulture. There are classes for Seedlings, Artistic Arrangements, Youth and Educational Exhibits. The show will be held at the Southeast Community College, 8800 "O" Street (in the cafeteria), Lincoln, Nebraska 68520.
- June 9, 2014 / Pot Luck & Picnic at Joslyn Castle; rain or shine! Bring a friend, a dish to share, and enjoy the gardens that were especially groomed for the Meyers Garden Walk on the previous day. Beverages and utensils will be provided by the club. Of course, we'll talk about all the great (and maybe not-so-great) iris blooms this Spring. This is a great opportunity to commune with our interesting members and guests.
- June 14, 2014 / Work day at the Sass Memorial Gardens at Mahoney State Park. Gather at the gardens at 8:30 AM to remove bloom stalks and deadhead peonies.
- July 19, 2014 / Work day Digging Project at the Sass Memorial Garden, 8:30 AM. Get there early before the heat. We'll have cold water ready for you. This is the day we dig iris for sale to the public. Rain date is July 20 - just in case!
- July 21, 2014 / Meeting: Prepare Rhizomes for sale at Linda Wilkie's house at 6:30 PM. Bring sharp scissors, paper bags, black markers that will work on iris, and newspapers to work on rhizomes. Great opportunity to get your hands dirty again!
- July 25 (Friday, 2:00 PM - 8:00 PM) / GOIS Annual Rhizome Sale at St. Andrews Episcopal Church. Don't forget to use your coupon for free iris . Coupon may be redeemed only at this July rhizome sale for anyone iris. (Coupon may be found on "Buy Iris" page of this web site)
- Region 21 Fall Meeting / August 8 - 9 / Ames, Iowa.See Region 21 page for specific information.
- August 16, 2014 / (Tentative) Work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 8:00 AM. Bring garden tools and bags or buckets for clean-up. Cold drinks will be provided.
- September 8, 2014/ Speaker: Judging Iris. Speaker TBD. This meeting counts toward "Judges training" hours
- October 13, 2014 / Making Fall arrangements. We'll meet at Lauritzen Gardens for a lesson on using 'found' items from your gardens. Kevin Smith (Floral Arranging Instructor at Metro Comm. College) will show how to make gorgeous arrangements with items found in your gardens.
- October 18, 2014 Final Work day at the Sass Memorial Garden at 8:30 - 9:00 AM. Bring scissors, rakes and bags or buckets for clean-up. Help put the gardens to bed for the winter. Hot coffee will be provided.
- November 10, 2014 "Early Thanksgiving Pot Luck Dinner" 6:30 PM Always a favorite activity. Bring your family and invite friends who may want to know more about iris for our annual festive dinner. The club will provide the Turkey and Gravy; please bring a salad, mashed potatoes, stuffing, a vegetable, casserole or dessert to share. Best deal in town.................great friends, great food, great camaraderie.